Books for a relative Perl newbie

Russell Matbouli russell-belfast-pm at futureless.org
Wed Sep 4 05:19:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:15:52AM +0100, Marty Pauley wrote:
> I think I'd skip CGI programming, unless you need it for something else.
> I'd still start by writing scripts (using Apache::Request and
> Apache::Registry) rather than diving straight into handlers.

Okay, I think this is what I *actually* meant.

> Unfortunately, too many potentially good Perl programmers have been
> ruined by following that advice.  Perl written like C is usually ugly
> and slow.

I retract all statements regarding slapping perl shebang lines on C
programs, in that case :) It is a quick and dirty way to get into it,
though. I think that's what my problem was... I'm gradually getting out
of that bad habit (hopefully totally out of it now).
--
Russell Matbouli       |
russell at futureless.org |  Hospital closures kill more than carbombs ever will