AuthCookie Error

Marty Pauley marty+belfast-pm at kasei.com
Wed Jun 12 04:44:05 CDT 2002

On Tue Jun 11 19:12:44 2002, Scott McWhirter wrote:
> I checked the manuals and checked google but found no explaination for
> this phenomenon.

What were you searching for?

> The errors i get are:
> [Tue Jun 11 18:38:45 2002] [error] Undefined subroutine
> &Scott::Serve->recognize_user::handler called.
> [Tue Jun 11 18:38:45 2002] [error] Undefined subroutine
> &Scott::Serve->login::handler called.

Well, that's fairly simple: you haven't defined subroutines called
"Scott::Serve->recognize_user::handler" or
"Scott::Serve->login::handler" :-)

> Scott::Serve is just a modules that subclasses Apache::Registry and has

Why did you decide to subclass Apache::Registry?

> something alongs the line of:
> sub login { &Scott::Session::Auth::login(@_); }
> sub recognize_user { &Scott::Session::Auth::recognize_user(@_); }

So why not call the Scott::Session::Auth methods directly instead of
needlessly going through Scott::Serve?

If you have read and followed the Apache::AuthCookie docs and have made
Scott::Session::Auth a subclass of Apache::AuthCookie as described in
the docs, then calling the Scott::Session::Auth methods directly will
solve your problem.

> to cope with the AuthCookie elements of it. I have NO idea why it's
> putting the ::handler at the end. The config seems to be right.

I know why the ::handler is at the end because I have read man mod_perl.

You should have included your config in your email, but I believe that
it is correct since I know where the problem actually is.

> The only other possible explanation seems to be that the mod_perl
> doesn't seem to be using MethodHandlers correctly.

That's not the only other possible explanation, although it is usually
the explanation you give when things go wrong.  Since thousands of other
people are using Apache mod_perl like this, I would suggest that the
most likely explanation is that you have made a mistake somewhere else!

> Any help you can give would be great.

OK.  You haven't read man mod_perl_method_handlers.

--
Marty