perl regular expressions

Andrew andrew at rivendale.net
Wed Jul 10 13:30:31 CDT 2002

Hi

"I'm getting a bad feeling about this ..."

You've confessed that you're not the worlds most knowledgeable perl
user.  It is my experience that people who don't know much frequently
ask the wrong question.  They are trying to achieve a task, lets call it
A.  They work out a way to do A, this involves doing B.  Doing B
involves also being able to do C.  They get stuck doing C and ask, "how
do I do C".  As it turns out C is really hard, but A is trivial if you
do it properly.

I get the feeling I've just been asked how to do C.

What are you really trying to do?  There may be an easier method to
achieve the overall goal in perl.  Why for instance do you need to know
the position of the S character?

I acknowledge it's possible that you do have a sensible method in mind,
but it's always better to ask.

cheers

Andrew