Bath.pm April 2 Meeting Report

Magnus Huckvale magnus at huckvale.net
Thu Apr 4 14:11:07 CST 2002

Present -
  * Dave H, I Lose Track
  * Gary, J&G Web Design
  * Dr Jon W, Netcraft
  * Jez, CTO Netcraft
  * Magnus, Netcraft
  * Richard Smedley

Apologies -
  * Jason

* The tragic passing of HRH The Queen Mother was noted

* Template Toolkit is mentioned
  - Views are described as 'crack-fuelled'
  - Magnus notes that he installed Win32 Perl & TT via 'some package
management thingy' painlessly on his XP laptop

* Vegetenaneariaonism is discussed
  - Pigs are more intelligent than dogs c.f Babe
  - Jon to make Eddie Izzard's "Pavlov's Cats" sketch available

* Dave waffles about some unix stuff
  - qmail
  - plex
  - something to do with locate databases that took more than 24 hours
to build

* Dave describes the Netcraft database as 'bodacious'

* Gary describes SQL as 'quite a nice little language'

* Lord of the Rings
  - Magnus says it was too short by a factor of 50%
  - Dave says it was like having teeth extracted
  - Jez says it was robbed at the oscar's
  - Dave wonders where the black actors were in LotR
  - Richard turns up with a green pint

* The Scots
  - Will they or won't they be supporting England in the World Cup
  - Richard points out that we supported Scotland in 1978
  - Richard quotes song lyrics at us
  - "I wanna be a punk rocker but mummy wouldn't let me"