[Banking-pm] Any newbies?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 09:04:41 PDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 10:20:26AM +0100, Alex McLintock wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
> > [a swearword]
> (with list admin hat on)
> David, please refrain from swearing on this list. Thanks.

I'll try to remember.

> (taking off list admin hat)
> I just dont see what David is doing here posting that apart from
> trolling.

Forgive me, but I thought that us non-banking types were asked to pipe
up and introduce ourselves.  So I did.  And I had the crazy notion that
people might be interested to know why non-banking people are lurking on
the list.

>           He made the same point on London.pm which I was amused at.

Indeed I did make the same point there.  This, however, is not
London.pm, and while the memberships clearly intersect, this is not a
mere subset of london.pm.  Hence I repeated myself for the benefit of
notlondoners.

>                  It seems quite funny to me that David was complaining
> about people's bad behavior whilst himself exhibiting bad behavior.

In my environment, referring to someone in a coarse and vulgar way when
they are a *most* unpleasant person is not bad behaviour, it's just
efficient.  Crude, vulgar language is, I am certain, used "around the
watercooler" every day by staff in every significant workplace including
banks.  That it is considered appropriate there but not in a
professional (but outside work) mailing list is a useful data point about
at least some workplaces.

Indeed, I'm on other lists (not perly ones) which have people from
banks, insurers, government departments, telcos, and the like, grumbling
"rudely" about their colleagues and bosses.

> His point is a valid one - even if he made it in a rude way.

<shrug> I saw nothing rude.  However, as it appears that some people
do have genuine concerns about it I'll try to use inefficient
circumlocutions in the unlikely event that I post here again.

--
David Cantrell | A machine for turning tea into grumpiness