[Banking-pm] Another Introduction

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Fri Sep 8 08:32:26 PDT 2006

Since everybody else seems to be doing it. Many of you will know me
from london.pm, but here goes...

I used a lot of Perl whilst I was contracting in the City of London in
the second half of the 1990s. Most of what I was going involved
parsing data feeds in order to load them into databases (mostly
Sybase) and them producing either outgoing data feeds or web-based
reports out of those databases. In about five years, I did a grand
tour of banks - Paribas (now BNP), Nomura, Warburgs (now UBS), CSFB,
IBJ (now Mizuho) and probably more that I've forgotten.

I wrote a book (http://manning.com/cross/) based on those experiences.

In about 2001 I decided that banking was dull and I decided I would
have more fun in the Noo Medja industry and spent some time working
for people like Sportal.com, QXL, Karmadownload, Bibliotech and (more
recently) Guardian Unlimited and the BBC.

Last year I decided to come back to the City and I'm now back working
in UBS. Well, strictly speaking I'm working for Perot Systems who
manage all of UBS' infrastructure. And I'm back parsing data feeds,
data is all about NAS and SAN storage usage.

Here's an important question - is banking.pm planning to have any meetings?

Dave...

--
site: http://dave.org.uk/
blog: http://blog.dave.org.uk/