[Bangalore-pm] Requesting help in improving Yoda

Upasana Shukla me at upasana.me
Fri Jun 28 03:46:09 PDT 2013

On Friday 28 June 2013 10:53 AM, Saravanan T wrote:
> +1
>
> Upasana : Can you guide us.
>
> ~Saran

In my opinion, this may become annoying. I've seen a bot on #dancer, it
greets people when they login to IRC via webchat and tell them that they
can change their nick using /nick xyz, greeting every user when he/she
comes online is not a good idea. We can mention about yoda bot in the
/topic though.

>     * Stores and plays information on upcoming meetups
>     * Gives other standard info on bangalore.pm <http://bangalore.pm/>
>     * Talks when someone says yoda in the channel
Sounds good to me :)
>     * Bids goodbyes to those leaving the channel

This is also not a good idea imo.
>     Targeted features/fixes:
>     * Answering machine: Store messages for offline nicks and play them
>     when he/she come online
I think for this, we should do something for logging IRC conversations,
instead of relying on a bot.

>     * Do not greet someone more than once a day
>     * provide module information from cpan when asked for it.
Hmm, CPAN search is enough for this, imo.
>     * Fix complaints from IRC channel users.

yes, this is a good feature.
>     We are still looking for ideas on useful stuff yoda might be able to
>     do in the chatroom like lookup cpan or modules etc.

My ideas:
1. Bot should +o some users, though Bender bot is already doing this job :)
2. Changing the /TOPIC, giving information about upcoming meetup
3. Some commands for admins, so that they can change information about
meetups etc.

For those who're interested in contributing to yoda, should fork this
repository:
https://github.com/Bangalore-Perl-Mongers/PerlMongers-Bangalore-Yoda .
But at the same time, I think not more than two people should work on
it, because it's not so much of work :).

These are just my ideas/suggestions, please feel free to discuss yours.
If you don't agree with my ideas, even then it's perfectly fine :). I'm
not contributing to yoda, as I've other commitments atm.

Thanks.