[baltimorepm] Perl job opportunity

Dawn Wallis wallisds at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:38:29 PDT 2012

Hello Group,

One of the volunteers from the DC-Baltimore Perl Workshop posted this
job on the DC mailing list, but asked that I put it up here in
Baltimore too. Check it out :)

If you have specific job duty questions you can contact Joe,
oneiros at annoying.org, who can tell you whatever you need to know,
likely, since he is working there.

Dawn
--

If anyone knows of any Perl programmers with experience in SOAP::Lite
(preferred),

        http://www.sesda3.com/careers/ss062-senior-software-engineer/

Pros:

        Pretty laid back environment.

        Working for NASA.

        Learn about the sun.

        Working with interesting people.

Cons:

        Can be aggressively laid back if you don't conform (I was threatened
        with bodily harm in my first week if I continued to wear ties)

        And it's only laid back in some regards; anything that might affect
        a spacecraft or human spaceflight is taken *really* seriously; men
        with guns have been known to show up and seize machines when we have
        security breaches.

        Trying to explain to your grandmother the difference between working
        for a contractor at a NASA center, and actually directly working as
        a civil servant.

        Dealing with bureaucratic rules that make no sense (which our boss
        does his best to shield us from) and having to do tons of extra work
        when Congress threatens to shut down the government (see con #2).

        Hour long phone calls with your grandmother explaining that no, the
        sun is not going to blow up this year, and how unrealistic it is
        that the Mayans were able to pinpoint to a specific day more than
        a millennia ago when we can't be sure if it's going to rain next
        Tuesday.

        Interesting people occasionally involves scientists who are
        convinced their PhD makes them an expert in *everything* including
        your job (see http://xkcd.com/793/ )... and some of them write
        code that you have to interface with.

        You'd have to work with me.

I can answer questions about the work that needs to be done.

Everything else has to go through ADNET HR.  (I couldn't even tell you
about the benefits, as I work for one of the sub-contractors)

I submitted this to jobs.perl.org earlier today, although, it might've
been a little more serious in tone.  (and it hasn't been approved yet,
so it might show up tomorrow, I guess)

-Joe