[baltimorepm] Booking.com is hiring

Brad Lhotsky brad.lhotsky at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 08:33:04 PDT 2012

Hello!

As you all know, I left the Baltimore area for the greener (though
dramatically more overcast) pastures of Amsterdam in January to work
for Booking.com.

If you hadn't figured this out, Booking.com is hiring for Perl Devs at
*all* skill levels.  Our company is growing in step with our business
and we need Devs!  Also looking for a UNIX System Administrator.

We are in the process of transitioning environments to Plack, but do
most of the heavy lifting now with mod_perl atm.  We use a number of
really interesting technologies including ElasticSearch, Hadoop,
Graphite, and  Memcached.

Why would you want to leave the comfort of the US for the rich, mostly
below sea-level soils of the Netherlands?

Well, Booking.com has impressed me.  This is a difficult to do, as I'm
incredibly cynical about companies and corporate culture in general.
Booking offers the following:

== Compensation:
* Competitive, fair salaries
* Quarterly bonuses

== Relocation:
* Work/Residency permits for you and your family!
  * Due to changes in Dutch law, only legal partners or children can
be sponsored.
* Relocation allotment (TBD based on family size, etc)
* Shipping your stuff costs of up to 1,000 EUR

== Leave:
* 5 Week PTO
* Up to 52 weeks of Sick Leave at 70% pay
* Numerous Holidays and other leave types available (Care Leave to
take care of your SO, Parental Leave for your kids)

== Culture:
* Agile,  SCRUM-based with performance tweaks as SCRUM was too slow
* Fail fast
* A/B Testing over Highest Paid Person's Opinion (HiPPO)
* Data driven development
* Management that actually cares about employees
* Open source projects used and patches/releases encouraged

== Growth:
* Company is growing and prefers promoting within for senior positions
* Employee training
* Conference reimbursements

== Location, Location, Location:
* Amsterdam is a vibrant, multicultural, international city
* It is difficult to learn Dutch in Amsterdam as everyone will speak
English to you
* Public transit that works
* Bikes! Bikes! Bikes!  (I don't own a car for the first time since I was 17)
* Centrally located in Europe
  * 1:30 Flight to Rome, 1 hour to Paris, 1 Hour to London
  * 1 hour car ride to Germany
  * 3 hours by train to Paris!

== Perks
* You will meet CPAN Authors whose code you have depended on for years!
* The best company Christmas party you will find, ever.
* Monthly social events, one per quarter with partner
* Lunch! (Apparently this is common in Europe)

If you're doing Perl now and interested in relocating to Amsterdam to
hack with Perl, please email me *directly*, not the list.  This is
your first test!

--
Brad Lhotsky