APM: Meeting Report

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 27 10:02:50 PDT 2012

The purpose of APM is to promote perl, the primary problem it faces is having a theme for activities. What the monthly meeting needs to be by default is a project planning brainstorm of participants. It's goal should be have a discussion about ideas and selection good candidates to put effort into. If participants want to have talks or demonstrations they should be scheduled for some future date and location. In --some-- cases a short presentation or talk could be given at the monthly meeting, but it should be the exception. The challenge to the participants is to have a list of topics/subjects/projects/ideas/problems/etc. that are discussed and prioritized. The one or two on top get the current effort of the group members.

The suggestion that efforts should be in parallel and separate meetings should apply to all APM activities that are not directly related to figuring out what it is we want to do and when.

---- Taylor Carpenter <taylor at codecafe.com> wrote:
> On 07/27/12 at 07:32am, jameschoate at austin.rr.com wrote:
> > I'm talking about a long term effort to have a sequence of projects or
> > events that promote the use of perl by actually doing perl.
>
> Sounds like a project specific meetup for people already working on some
> project.
>
> An alternative would be a open hack group where a bunch of different projects
> are going on at any given time and anyone can help or chat about what
> ever was interesting to them -- including just working by themselves and
> requesting feedback when desired.
>
> > I realize for some that's a problem due to contractual limitations (ala IBM) but
> > there has to be a better way to promote perl than free pizza and
> > listening to somebodies sales pitch once a month.
>
> Free pizza is new and not required.  If meetups always were about a
> sales pitch then most would fail.
>
> Also a single talk for an hour+ is usually overkill unless there is
> interactive learning of some type... that might be coding, but it could
> easily be Q&A during the talk (vs after).  The topic can be pitched to
> the group on the mailing list or at the end of a meeting to see the
> interest level and the talk should be adjusted accordingly.
>
> Leaning towards more talks per meeting means each talk gets to the point
> faster w/o the fluff.
>
> In any case I suggest a vote on where this PM group should take the
> meetings.  Here is a survey I created based on the current discussion
> thread:
>
>   http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3KQPR8G
>
> Fill it in and I'll pass all the results on or create a new one.  In any
> case a vote should be taken so we can move on.

 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

jameschoate at austin.rr.com
jchoate at confusionresearchcenter.org