APM: Bugzilla, Perl, server

Montgomery Conner montgomery.conner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 16:49:48 PDT 2010

I'm getting the impression that what you really need from Perl is just
*dependency
support for a single application*: Bugzilla... and that this particular
dependency *happens* to be Perl is more-or-less irrelevant. Is that correct?

I hate to ask the obvious, but did you RTFM for Bugzilla?

I took a quick look and found pertinent documentation about custom
installations such as the one you're attempting here:
http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/3.6/en/html/nonroot.html.

But this really begs the question: If your real need is specifically
Bugzilla why don't you simply install an RPM for that software and let it
handle it's own dependencies? If it doesn't handle it's own dependencies
correctly file a bug ( oh, wait... ;-) ) ... and if there isn't an RPM of a
recent enough version of this software available it sounds more like an
issue for your OS vendor than Perl.

I understand that you're frustrated, but in retrospect I guess I just don't
understand the point of all your initial questions about Perl in this
context... but maybe I'm missing something.

Perl is really just an incidental detail here of the complexity your
encountering with a large and proportionately complex piece of *totally
unrelated* software... It's like complaining to Sun MicroSystems that you
found a big FOSS Java application online that you can't get to work...  :-S

Issues like this might more productively be directed to specific project
mailing lists... for example, Bugzilla's mailing list.

Sorry,