APM: fork on windows / long-running process and cgi

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 8 21:56:57 PST 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Sam Foster wrote:
> I'm trying to put a web front-end on a build process - that may take
> a while. Ideally my initial request would kick off the build, and
> later requests would check on its status and finally pick up the
> output and send it or a link to it back to the client.

"Micro-optimizations yield micro-results."  You will do builds what,
several times a day, and check their statuses a few dozen times a day?
Unless fork() simply didn't work (and it does work, in my experience
with Cygwin's perl at least), I don't see why you'd bother to avoid
it.  Am I missing something?

Daniel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com