APM: Perl Job Position from Recruiter

Leeland Heins leeh at softwarejanitor.com
Mon Oct 23 17:09:38 PDT 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 02:39 pm, Tim Peoples wrote:
> Interestingly enough, this job is actually for my team (and no... there
> is no JSP requirement).
>
> What I'm really looking for is someone who is a fairly good OOP Perl
> programmer who (over time) wants to also become a really good Java
> programmer as well.

That is interesting.  I declined an offer through a recruiter to interview at
DMi/ADP because it was described to me as being around 25%
Java/JSP/J2EE development and only ~60% Perl with the remainder a
mixture of other things like C#.  It was also represented to me that most
of the new development would be in Java and mostly only maintenance
in Perl.  After hearing that, I wasn't very interested.  I'm probably cynical,
but I've been disappointed too many times over the past few years by
what was described to me as "Perl Developer" positions that turned out
at interview time to be Java Developer positions plus maintaining a few
Perl scripts someone wrote a few years ago or maintaining some Perl
code while replacing it all with Java or while someone else is.

Leeland Heins, leeh at softwarejanitor.com