APM: Asking again because I'm dense... Running a prog from a prog?

CaptNemo CaptNemo at Austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 20 13:08:12 PDT 2006

Sorry to ask this again but, I just can't grasp system() and get it to work....

  I have written a program named gettables.pl which reads all the tables in
a database and prints them out.   The program is run with this line:

gettables.pl mysql database user password

It in turn prints out a list of the tables in the database-
EXAMPLE:
         products
         inventory
         porn_collection
         accounts

I need to execute this FROM my web page generator program and  have the
print result returned so I can make a table.

I have tried:

         $dbtable = `gettables.pl mysql database user password`;

         my $command = "gettables.pl mysql database user password4";
         $dbtable = `$command`;

         $dbtable = system(gettables.pl mysql database user password);

         my $command = "gettables.pl mysql database user password";
         $dbtable = system($command);

         @dbtable = system(gettables.pl mysql database user password);

         my $command = "gettables.pl mysql database user password";
         @dbtable = system($command);

How can I do this without having to write a file and read the results?