APM: Activestate Perl 5.8.3 Issues (esp. threads)?

Taylor Carpenter taylor at codecafe.com
Tue Jul 13 23:29:03 CDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:33:12 -0500, "David Bluestein II"
<dbii at interaction.net> said:
> I remember 2-3 meetings ago, someone was talking about Activestate perl
> 5.8.3 and it's stability. Anyone using it? Any issues with it? Or should
> I stick to 5.6.x for now from them? I have to deploy to windows so
> Activestate is my option.

I am using it for most of my Windows projects.  ActiveState 5.6 has more
modules ported/compiled than 5.8.  I have used 5.6 modules under 5.8
though.  With 5.8 you get alot of updates to various modules of course.
Some of the updates have been useful for me.

I have seen an issue with modules using OpenSSL for downloads (eg. LWP
and https).  I can use OpenSSL 0.9.6g linked modules but OpenSSL 0.9.7c
(which I believe is part of 5.8.2) fails to download "larger files"
(several mb).  It times out.  This happens on non-windows systems also.

Anyhow ActiveState is just great as long as you are not porting a module
with a C extension from Linux to it.  Then it is lame ;) (I am porting
TFBS).

ActiveState is not the only Windows option BTW.  You have Cygwin and
MinGW ports.  Cygwin will require the cygwin dlls but MinGW does not
depend on any DLLs that are not alread shipped with Windows.  There are
native compiles in VC++ also of just perl.. Ie download the src and
compile.  Then use CPAN and do the same again.

Some links

ActiveState Download -
http://www.activestate.com/Products/Download/Download.plex?id=ActivePerl

Cygwin - http://cygwin.com/