APM: Re: Problem opening a file

Wayne Walker wwalker at broadq.com
Thu Jul 24 16:31:31 CDT 2003

An upgrade to sendmail will install a new version of makemap.  It may
use a new hash system that perl's tieDB doesn't know how to use.

It is VERY common for things that to to hash/DB files to say "cannot
open" if they don't unstand the format rather than an error that
indicates the real problem of invalid format.

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 04:23:13PM -0500, Evan Harris wrote:

> Update to this question.  I come to find out that the sendmail install on
> this machine was upgraded last night.
>
> Still, I'd like to know what exactly the failure is and how to go about
> fixing it.  Why did a sendmail upgrade affect tie/DB_File in such a way as
> to cause that error to be thrown?
>
> Evan
>
> > I'm getting the following error trying to open a file with perl tie DB_File:
> >
> > ERROR: Unable to open access.db file '/etc/mail/access.db': Inappropriate
> > ioctl for device at ./relaydelay.pl line 1168.
> >
> > Here's the code that generated it:
> >
> >   if (defined $sendmail_accessdb_file) {
> >     my %accessdb;
> >     # Test that we can open the accessdb file
> >     if (! tie (%accessdb, 'DB_File', $sendmail_accessdb_file, O_RDONLY)) {
> >       die "ERROR: Unable to open access.db file '$sendmail_accessdb_file': $!";
> >     }
> >     untie %accessdb;
> >   }
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to fix this?  As far as I can see, the file is fine,
> > I even deleted it and recompiled it.  The strange thing is it was working on
> > the same system a day or two ago, and AFAIK, nothing has changed on the
> > system as far as perl/libs etc.
> >
> > Evan

Wayne Walker

www.broadq.com :)  Bringing digital video and audio to the living room