APM: Debugging memory leak

Wayne Walker wwalker at broadq.com
Wed Jul 9 10:54:34 CDT 2003

I don't know of any memory monitoring stuff in perl, but it may be
there.

I would start by generating log output that prints a line every time you
use significant memory.

While looking at the code to see where you use significant memory you
may find the culprit.

Otherwise you may see in the log that something you thought wasn't
called often is.

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:48:25PM -0500, Evan Harris wrote:

> Is there a way to track where memory is being used in a large
> long-running perl program?
>
> I have a program that after about 6 hours has leaked about 200meg of memory,
> and I can't figure out why.  It started doing this after an upgrade from
> perl 5.6.1 to 5.8.
>
> I'd like to be able to get some sort of stats on which modules what amount
> of the memory is being used in, so I can figure out where to start trying to
> fix it.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Evan

Wayne Walker