[AnnArbor.pm] [A2PM] Interest in meetings?

David Hand cogent at slashdot.org
Sun Oct 23 11:06:30 PDT 2011

I agree that we'd do well to have social meetings in addition to
technical meetings.  There are many different types of Perl Mongers
groups:  At one extreme, the Seattle Perl Mongers (now apparently
called the Seattle Perl Users Group) describes itself as an
"Educational Cooperative".  At the other extreme, the New York Perl
Mongers discourages much Perl discussion on its mailing list and
mostly just meets in a bar near NYU.  I've learned a hell of a lot of
Perl over beers at the Peculier Pub.  :-)

Anyway, I'd certainly attend a social meeting, and so would a couple
of my co-workers at Slashdot.  That said, I'd also attend a technical
meeting.  (I'd also like to get back in the habit of presenting.)

Michael's "anchor" idea seems to be a good one, especially in
combination with some sort of semi-regular technical meeting.  Or
maybe it'd be sufficient if there were a regular venue at which we
could host technical meetings, so that the "anchor" wouldn't have to
provide one of his own?

--
David 'cogent' Hand
Software Engineer