[AnnArbor.pm] A potential Perl talk for the right person

Bryan Smith besmit at umich.edu
Fri Feb 18 07:16:40 PST 2011

Hello everyone,

Last meeting, while talking about DBIx::Class, someone brought up
cpanminus, which is really nifty.

And I recently came across Modern::Perl (instead of strict, warnings
and 5.010 pragmas). [1] And I recently was discussing with someone
establishing a Perl development workflow. One possibility would be to
use Module::Starter for new applications. [2]

This and/or similar topics could be wrapped up into a talk branded as
something like "Start developing with modern Perl: tools and
practices".

This would be a great talk for an established Perl developer, or
someone willing to aggregate ideas from everyone in the group,
organize them, write them up and present them.

Anyone interested in this talk can just claim it. We could even wiki
this, and one person can distill everything down to a good talk.

As long as we made this approachable for beginners, I believe this
would bring in many people interested in Perl. Just thinking out loud.

Sincerely,
Bryan

[1] [ http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/ ], Preface

[2] [ http://www.bofh.org.uk/2010/07/25/a-tale-of-two-languages ], in