Logo suggestions or submissions?

Roxanne Reid-Bennett rox at tara-lu.com
Sat Mar 13 04:48:55 CST 1999

Arthur Corliss wrote:
>[...]
> I effort to get our site off the ground, anyone have any cool logo ideas, or
> page layouts?  Looking for something creative, yet distinction, which is
> obviously not my strong point.

Ok, here's the question of the day.  How much time do you (or anybody
else on this list) want to spend maintaining the site.  What do you want
on it, and how much effort are you willing to put in to get it there or
keep it there.

To use one example ... AKLUG is *very* low profile that way.  It doesn't
even have "useful" links off it. [not that *I* would ever complain.  Dee
kept the pages and I didn't have to].  They're nice and "draw" traffic,
but is that the purpose?

What do you want the page to say about the group? What's its purpose in
existing?
	- To tell people we'er "here"
	- To help people find resources ("any" resources)
	- To help people find local resources
	- To tell people about the group's activities
	- To ...

Define it's purpose and a limit is set on structural form. [you don't
"need" a fancy layout if all you say is "we exist" <g>]

[Speaking of purposes... is there a specific overall purpose of Perl
Mongers, and if so, what is it?  If not, then what is the purpose of
*this* Perl Mongers group? [or if there is, is there an additional
purpose/goal for this group] ]

> Or, if you'd all rather take the low ;-) road, the folks at Gallant Tech have
> offered to come up with something, but with the caveat that they get to put
> the site design in their portfolio.

I'm an ok technical graphical editor, but I've got all the creative
talent for graphics of .. well we'll not go there.  I suggest either
"the low road" or just a "cool" lettered logo (much like the AKLUG of
years 1-2.5).  Either will get you "up" - neither will cost you a lot of
time (or money).

Rox
Roxanne Reid-Bennett                       rox at tara-lu.com
President, Tara-Lu Corporation     http://www.tara-lu.com/