Banner/Link exchange proposal (fwd)

corliss at alaskapm.org corliss at alaskapm.org
Mon Dec 20 17:30:24 CST 1999

Greetings:

Attached is a site that some of you may be interested, though the pickings are
non-existent for Alaska.  If you're looking to relocate, however, you may get
some use from the site.  If you're an employer looking for Perl people, you
might get the bodies you need via here.

In other news, our Perl contest died a horrible, flaming death, as not one
single submission came my way.

A book review by Kelsey Gray will be posted very shortly for those of you
interested in MacMillan's latest group effort.  If I can get volunteers for
other titles, I can probably get them for review.

We also have a review of "Learning Perl" due soon, too, so stay tuned.

I also want to encourage our new list members to post their problems and
misunderstandings to the list--this group exists to help all of us get more
out of Perl.  You never know, some of these mutes might actually speak and
share some wisdom.  ;-)

Finally, I love the idea of this group, and I would really like to see some
life in it.  Perhaps our problems exist with its current leadership.  If you
feel that's the case, then by all means, let me know, I'll defer my status to
site maintainer if you can breathe some life into the group.  :-)

One thing that might be causing some of our problems:  I realise that most of
our membership consists of veteran Perl programmers, most of which are
traditionally self-reliant--we know where to look to find the answers we need,
so we dig them up ourselves.  Even so, consider airing out the problem on the
list, others (our newbies, especially) can learn a great deal from it, and
other vets may just show another way of dealing with the issue that we won't
find in our docs.

Newbies:  don't be afraid to ask questions.  Seeing how low traffic this list
is, I don't think anyone will complain about FAQs--they certainly can't
distract us from any other interesting conversations.  ;-)  Besides which,
until you get accustomed with the doc organisation, we understand that you may
not always know where to look.

	--Arthur Corliss
	  Perl Monger/Alaska Perl Mongers
	  http://www.alaskapm.org/