NT vs Unix perl nits

Roxanne Reid-Bennett rox at tara-lu.com
Thu Apr 1 15:35:55 CST 1999

Arthur Corliss wrote:
[...]
> What filesystem is he trying it on?  NTFS is somewhat limited in its posix
> compliance (or is it the OS'es fault ;-).  While NTFS knows what links are,
> Windows apps wouldn't know what to do with it when they saw it. . .

I'd thought about the limitations on the file system.  The dir we were
looking at is on a NTFS drive, so yeah it would be an issue for at least
some of the "stat" data (for example, I would guess inode to be totally
unsuppliable).

However, nlinks identifies hard links within the dir.  It seems to me
that the concept of soft links is at best mirrored by "shortcut" under
NT.  Given that level of definition, couldn't the NT version of perl's
stat give the equivalent information for nlink?

Consider this a general grumble... We've already worked around the
problem. I just wanted some input from others who have used it more or
give a heads up for those who might be pushed into using NT and perl
together.

Rox
Roxanne Reid-Bennett                       rox at tara-lu.com
President, Tara-Lu Corporation     http://www.tara-lu.com/