[AmsterdamX-pm] AmsterdamX.pm - Amsterdam eXpats Perl Mongers (November 25th, 18:30, Tokyo & Shanghai Room)

sawyer x xsawyerx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 06:42:05 PST 2013

This meeting features several Perl power tools and a series of complaints
that has the potential of starting a holy world war. Please join us!

* In a nutshell:*
 Date: Monday, November 25th.
Time: 18:30 - 20:30 (theoretically)
Location: Booking.com, Herengracht 597, Tokyo & Shanghai room, 5th floor.

*Talks: *

*Rob Hoelz - Perl Power Tools *Tools are the unseen force behind
programming; they're not the "killer apps" of the world, but they're often
instrumental in delivering them.
Come discover some of the tools that the Perl community has developed over
the years to make working with Perl easier.

* Kang-Min Liu (Gugod) - *
*perlbrew, tips and tricks *
perlbrew is a tool to manage multiple perl installations for various
purposes.

I'll briefly go through some basic introduction of the tool and some common
usages of perlbrew for development and operational purposes.

*Sawyer X - do_this() and die;*

 If serial killers would use these coding patterns as reasons for their
killing sprees we would set them free of charge. Innocent men and women who
could not be expected to remain silent in the face of such bothersome
behavior.

I will provide a (hopefully extensive) list of coding patterns I do not
like to see, and will urge you to follow me into the righteous path of
coding cleanly and understandably.

This will also shield you as best as possible not to be hurt physically by
me when working with me, which - by the end of the talk - you may not wish
to do anyway.

 *Unabridged:*
You've probably heard of the Perl Mongers meetings, where fellow Perl (and
non-Perl programmers) can get together to "talk shop", make fun of
everything (including Perl) and have a good time. These meetings often have
a few technical talks (which are usually light-hearted, and not necessarily
- but likely - involve Perl). There is already the Amsterdam.pm talks. This
is not about that. This is about AmsterdamX.pm, which will have its second
meeting on *November 25th*, at *18:30*, in the *Tokyo & Shanghai room* (*5th
floor*), at *Booking.com*, *Herengracht 597*.

The talks can be a 5 minute tidbit about a cool module, or a 40 minute
tutorial about some cool new (or old) software.

*AmsterdamX.pm? *AmsterdamX.pm (Amsterdam eXpats Perl Mongers) is a new
Perl Mongers group whose purpose is to optimize for expats. The major
differences are:
* use English; We might speak more than 50 languages, but we commonly speak
only one.
* Meeting early: we meet at 18:30, so you can come straight from work
instead of having a long buffer time to the meeting.
* Held at Booking.com, where most expats in Amsterdam already work.

This isn't instead of Amsterdam.pm, but to provide an additional group. It
is not meant to replace, but to supplement. There is no affiliation between
Amsterdam.pm and AmsterdamX.pm.

*Why should I attend? *Here are a few reasons which might appeal to you:
* You will improve your knowledge of Perl (and most likely other
technologies) through the knowledge and experience of others. It's like a
free course, with snacks!
* You could give a talk and share your knowledge and experience. If you're
going to YAPC to give a talk, this is great practice.
* It's a wonderful chance to socialize.

*How many talks, and how long are they?*
Usually there will be 2-3 talks, ranging between 5 minutes (lightning) and
40 minutes (tutorial).

*Is it just for Booking.com?*
No. This isn't Booking.pm, this is AmsterdamX.pm. (also, Sparta!)
This means that everyone is invited! At first we would like people to
*register* so we could have a good estimate of the people arriving. This
will help with various things like optimized snack distribution, making
sure reception knows of people arriving that don't have keys, making sure
we get a proper room, etc.

 *Now I'm interested, what's the next step?*
Please let us know by return email if you will be attending as well as the
names of anyone you plan on bringing from outside of Booking.com.

Then mark the date, time and place and show up!

See you there!