[ABQ-pm] CPAN broken...

Allan Emord allanemord at laguna-industries.com
Tue Oct 31 14:41:36 PST 2006

Hi!
I've run into a bit of a problem while updating my Perl libs through
CPAN and I hope someone can help me.
I upgraded several libs but ran into trouble with DBD::Oracle;
installed version is 1.15, currnet is 1.18. Although I would like to
keep current with that DBD lib it is not my imeediate problem. The
update to 1.18 would not make - OK, I don't update it. But now I get
problems updating anything!

screen output from CPAN:
   cpan> install DBD::Oracle
   Running install for module DBD::Oracle
   Running make for P/PY/PYTHIAN/DBD-Oracle-1.18a.tar.gz
   Fetching with LWP:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/CPAN/authors/id/P/PY/PYTHIAN/CHECKSUMS
   Undefined subroutine &Digest::base::new called at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 4328.

Hmm, sounds like Digest might have a problem...

   cpan> install Digest
   Running install for module Digest
   Running make for G/GA/GAAS/Digest-1.15.tar.gz
   Undefined subroutine &Digest::base::new called at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/CPAN.pm line 4328.

Uh, oh. And the CPAN.pm error repeats for any install/update I try. I
have seen this in the past and was able to live with it until a system
changeover. That is not possible at this time. Can anyone help me here?
Thanks in advance,

Allan Emord
dba/systems programmer
Laguna Industries, Inc