[albany-pm] Hello Albany Perl Mongers

Conor Todd conor.k.todd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:16:14 PDT 2012

Hi Mark!

I joined this list a couple of months ago, and it's been completely quiet.  Which saddens me, given how awesome Perl is.  I think a buddy of mine at Google summed it up well when he, having learned that I love Perl, asked, "Isn't Perl what you do to people you don't like?"  The language is so easy to write that anyone -- even those without a clue -- can cobble something together in it, meaning that there's a lot of really horrible Perl out there.  So, it's sad that Perl gets thrown under the bus simply because many of the WTFs of the early internet used it.

Anyway, upstate NY isn't known for it's technological prowess, but you are relatively close to NYC, Boston, and Buffalo, all of which have active PMs.  There don't seem to be many people using Perl up here; the closest ones are generally financial firms.

As for internet providers, I'm in Albany and I use TimeWarner Cable.  Speedtest says I get 20Mb down and 1.5Mb up, but in practice it's 8-10Mb down and 0.8Mb up.  I'd go with Verizon's FIOS if it were available here, but it seems to have skipped Albany.  But then again, a lot of technology seems to have skipped Albany -- such as networked traffic lights, sidewalks, and bike lanes.

   - Conor