[albany-pm] Hello Albany Perl Mongers

Will Coleda will at coleda.com
Mon Mar 26 05:34:16 PDT 2012

2012/3/25 Mark fowler <mark at twoshortplanks.com>:
> Hello!
>
> My name's Mark Fowler.  You might know me as "That guy that used to head up
> London Perl Mongers" or "The guy that started the Perl Advent Calendar" or
> "The guy that wrote Test::Builder::Tester".

Hey, Mark!

> So, I just bought a house in New Lebanon, NY, which google maps assures me
> is a mere 40min drive away from Albany.  Now, I'm pending visa stuff so I
> won't be moving into the property for a good few months yet, but I thought
> it might be a good idea to check out my local Perl Mongers group.

> So,
>
> - The mailing list is a little sparse.  Do you guys meet up?  Are you part
> of any other groups?  (NYC.pm? Boston.pm?)

We are pretty much comatose. We've had 1 or 2 meetings in the past 5
years or so, but that's it. I'd be happy to try to get things moving
again - and now have contact with RPI's "open source" student group,
which might help.

> - Anything else in the area a Perl geek should know about?  Other local tech
> groups I might be interested in?

I know the local ColdFusion user's group is going strong.

> - Any advice on what I should be using as a bandwidth provider?  I've hooked
> up Fairpoint giving me 2.5mbps (ish) down, but any idea about about anything
> more comparable to the double digit bandwidth I'm used to.

That close to the MA border, I'm not sure; I use Time Warner cable
here, and their low-end service is better than that, but still not
double digits.

> Mark

Will "Coke" Coleda