[albany-pm] Meeting?

Will Coleda will at coleda.com
Tue Sep 11 17:29:25 PDT 2007

Meeting... OR IS IT!? MUAHAHAAHAHA!

It's my semi-annual attempt to setup a meeting, and you're invited! =-)

Anyone who wants to get together and talk about all things perl, let
me know when a good time for you is. Just generic days and times.
I'll start out by saying I'd prefer something during the week after
5pm; =-) Feel free to mail me privately, and I'll try to come up with
two days; we can try both, even. I know there are many other local
user's groups we compete with for your time, please mention any
specific ones in your email that you'd like to avoid a conflict with,
I'll accommodate if I can.

We can meet at/near a school to help out with students. We can do
coffee or stronger. (We've had our best luck at Professor Java's in
the past, but I know that's not convenient for a lot of people.)
Downtown can work, depending on the venue & the time...  Hell, one PM
group meets at the zoo occasionally to check out the camels.

Possible topics:

-- If you're like me, a perl hacker who earns a living doing
something else, we can talk about sanity-saving strategies (like
trying to organize a perl mongers meeting!!), and whether it makes
sense to introduce perl into the workplace or find your perlian
satisfaction after hours.

-- Do you use perl at work regularly? Do you have coding standards,
reviews? Do you write your tests in perl, even if your code is in
another language?

-- Have you ever tried to use POE? (perhaps you can explain it to me,
then.)

-- Interested in hacking on something perly? I have a module on CPAN
with some pending feature requests, patches welcome. =-) [http://
search.cpan.org/~coke/]

I'm looking forward to having a meet & greet. Once we have a social
or two under our belts, I'll plan a technical with an actual
presentation on something based on feedback gathered during the social.

Other PMs have done this alternation with some success. I'd like to
shoot for monthly meetings.

I'd also be happy to have just the occasional face to face, and have
technical conversations on the list; As always, feel free to ask
technical questions on the list, or let us know about some cool new
perl thing you've discovered!

Regards.

--
Will "Coke" Coleda