[albany-pm] Meeting this Friday, 7:00pm

Jerry Ela gela at nycap.rr.com
Thu Nov 11 15:49:44 CST 2004

Hi Will,
As someone who is active in several user groups I thought I'd share what
I have learned.
Most of the local user groups meet on the middle days of the week.  The
groups I know of are

group               meeting
asp.net             second Tuesday @ 6
java                  second Wednesday @ 6
coldFusion       second Thursday @ 6
XML               third Tuesday @ 6
VB                   third Wednesday @ 6

I think there is a linux group that meets on saturday afternoons.

It seems even geeks have enough of a life that Friday nights  aren't a
good choice for user group meetings.  I wasn't planning to attend Friday
because I attend the java and coldfusion meeting and Friday would be the
third day in a row.

Also most groups meet at 6.  Thats late enough that its after work for
everybody, but not so late that people can't go to the meeting directly
from work.  7 is late enough that a lot of people will not go because
they don't want to hang out from 4 or 5 when they get off work to 7.  A
lot of people may also go home first, intending to go back out to the
meeting and then decide they just don't want to go out again after they
get home.

Expecting a dozen people may also be unrealistic.  While a number of
the  local groups used to get as many as 50 people, I don't think any
average much more than a dozen these days.  I don't think we ever had a
dozen people at a PM mtg before the group faded away and that was at a
time when user groups were more popular than they seem to be today.

Hopefuly, I'll be able to make a few PM mtgs.