Hello!

Chastain, Jack (Jack)** CTR ** chastain at lucent.com
Tue Jul 6 20:22:55 CDT 1999

Greetings, Walt and Arthur! Also, any future Mongers that may get this in
archive! Gee, I feel like I am really in on the "ground floor" here!

I am a Sys Admin (Sun) working with Lucent Technologies in Whippany, NJ. I
live just north of Newburgh off Rt 32 (actually about 1 mile due north of
the northbound plaza on the thruway. I am really pleased to find a local
group! I have been a member of Albany PM for about 8 months now and driving
to Troy every other week, though a great time, is a bit taxing!

I have been using Perl for about 3 years or so. Grew into it from sed and
awk. I am a "home grown" admin - no "formal" training (unless you count one
SysAdmin Sun class way back when 4.1.3 was just being released! I learned
perl from the book and a few really good classes. I am certainly not in the
same league as some of the folks I get to hang with in Albany, but I figure,
sitting close to the fire, I am bound to get a tan!

It is a bit embarrassing to admit that, at present, I do not even have perl
installed on my E-450 at Lucent. Just too much to do. I DID download the
distribution today, though, and hope to have it installed sometime soon!

I was at yapc and had a great time - hope you guys got to go!

I don't have much in the way of suggestions for meeting places, but I am
pretty flexible (though I prefer to stay away from smoke-filled rooms.)

Wonder what you folks do with perl, where you work, etc? I think I should
get an archive from the list - but I will have to go read the help page
first!

Hope to meet you folks in person soon!