[Aberdeen-pm] Fwd: Apress User Group Newsletter Here - Please Distribute

Gavin Henry ghenry at perl.me.uk
Wed May 25 23:20:31 PDT 2005

Subject: Apress User Group Newsletter Here - Please Distribute
Date: Thursday 26 May 2005 00:15
From: Apress <janet at apress.com>
To: ghenry at suretecsystems.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Apress User Group Newsletter
Issue 2; Quarter 2, 2005

****PLEASE FORWARD OR POST THIS
NEWSLETTER FOR ALL GROUP MEMBERS****

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sections:

1.  eBookshop at Apress.com
2.  Let 'Em Rip
3.  User Group Tools at Apress.com
4.  Apress Beta Community
5.  Radio/Audio Interviews
6.  Promotions and Prizes
7.  Your Local Events
8.  The Latest Apress Books -- Hot Off the Press
9.  Forthcoming Books -- Summer Releases
10. Upcoming Tradeshows

***************************************

1. eBookshop at Apress.com

Apress is pleased to announce its new eBookshop, http://ebookshop.apress.com.
 You can choose from dozens of recently released Apress titles in PDF format,
 each at 50% off the regular price.

Through June 2005, we'll take an ADDITIONAL 50% off the discount price of the
 first eBookshop title you purchase - for a total savings of 75% off the
 book's regular price!

Please visit http://www.apress.com/userGroups/ebookpromotion.html to obtain
 your special user group member discount. There you will enter your user
 group name, your e-mail address, and this password: apressug2563493. If you
 have any questions about redeeming your discount, please contact
 support at apress.com.

***************************************

2. Let 'Em Rip

Have a computer book you don't like? Think you overpaid for what turned out
 to be a waste of your valuable time? Rip out and send in the copyright page
 from that book, and Apress will offer you an e-version of a better book for
 $10.00.

Be sure to write the title and ISBN of the Apress eBook you would like, and a
 valid e-mail address where we can send your coupon to redeem for your $10.00
 eBook. Please print carefully in blue or black ink.

The book from which you rip the copyright page must be published January 1,
 2000, or later. Photocopied, partial, or Apress copyright pages will not be
 accepted. Envelope must be postmarked no later than June 30, 2005. Limit one
 copyright page per name or e-mail address.

Use of multiple e-mail addresses to obtain additional eBook coupons
 constitutes fraud. Incomplete or incorrect submissions will not be honored.
 Keep a photocopy of your copyright page for future reference. Copyright
 pages submitted become the property of Apress and will not be returned.
 Apress is not responsible for incomplete, lost, or late submissions. Void
 where prohibited by law.

Send ripped-out copyright pages to:

Apress
Let 'Em Rip Promotion
2560 Ninth Street, Suite 219
Berkeley, CA 94710

Let 'em rip.

***************************************

3. User Group Tools at Apress.com

Please visit the updated Apress User Groups page soon, which will contain
 lots of helpful information to supplement your group experience:
 http://www.apress.com/userGroups/.

New features include downloadable Apress logos to post on your site and use
 in printed materials. We also offer a User Group Finder to locate other
 groups in your area. (Or just take a peek to see who's registered around the
 world.) You'll also find a convenient form for requesting an Apress author
 to speak with your group.

***************************************

4. Apress Beta Community

On June 6, Apress will launch its Apress Beta Community (ABC), a new portal
 for .NET professionals. The ABC will provide the best in expert opinion,
 articles, and peer-to-peer discussion about Microsoft's .NET 2.0 Beta. The
 ABC will be hosted by ASP Today, and we encourage you to bookmark the link:
 http://www.asptoday.com/abc.

***************************************

5. Radio/Audio Interviews

Apress has an active radio/audio presence! A growing number of authors are
 joining this trend, and strutting their stuff over the airwaves. We have
 future interview slots in the works. And very soon our radio/audio portal
 will be RSS-enabled, making it even easier for you to tune in.

We've also posted past interviews for you to listen to and learn from. Check
 them out at http://www.apress.com/interview/radio.html.

***************************************

6. Promotions and Prizes

Apress sponsored the Apress User Group Puzzler in April. We are pleased to
 announce the winner: Douglas Rowe, a member of the Columbia Java Users Group
 (COLAJUG), who designed the most creative and geek-savvy crossword puzzle.
 Douglas has won a Sony PlayStation Portable!

Thank you to everyone who submitted a puzzle in April. We will display the
 winning crossword puzzle on our User Group site in June. Please visit our
 site then and test your Apress knowledge by trying the puzzle.

If you missed the opportunity to participate in this promotion, don't fret!
 Apress will host another fun contest, the Apress Fractal Contest, in July
 2005. Please check http://www.apress.com/ for details and rules about this
 upcoming contest. (And spread the word to other group members.)

***************************************

7. Your Local Events

Are you hosting a user group summit or conference? Maybe a technical
 festival, education day, or code camp? Apress is pleased to have
 participated in all of these types of events, and we want to participate in
 your next event.

Apress is happy to donate books and other goodies, and even arrange for an
 author to speak when possible. Please let me know if you'd like Apress to
 get involved: janet at apress.com.

***************************************

8. The Latest Apress Books -- Hot Off the Press

Beginning J2ME: From Novice to Professional, Third Edition
By Jonathan Knudsen and Sing Li
Published April 2005
ISBN: 1-59059-479-7
480 pp.
$44.99

Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach
By Chris F.A. Johnson
Published May 2005
ISBN: 1-59059-471-1
448 pp.
$39.99

Expert .NET Delivery Using NAnt and CruiseControl.NET
By Marc Holmes
Published May 2005
ISBN: 1-59059-485-1
400 pp.
$49.99

***************************************

9. Forthcoming Books -- Summer Releases

The Best Software Writing I: Selected and Introduced by Joel Spolsky
To Publish: June 2005
ISBN: 1-59059-500-9
350 pp.
$24.99

A Programmer's Introduction to C# 2.0, Third Edition
By Eric Gunnerson and Nick Wienholt
To Publish: June 2005
ISBN: 1-59059-501-7
550 pp.
$39.99

The Definitive Guide to Java Swing, Third Edition
By John Zukowski
To Publish: June 2005
ISBN: 1-59059-447-9
1000 pp.
$49.99

***************************************

10. Upcoming Tradeshows

Apress will be exhibiting at the following shows this summer. If you are
 there, please stop by and say hello!

BookExpo America
New York City, NY
June 3 - 5, 2005
http://www.bookexpoamerica.com

Tech-Ed 2005
Orlando, FL
June 5 - 10, 2005
http://www.microsoft.com/events/teched2005/default.mspx

O'Reilly Open Source Convention (OSCON)
Portland, OR
August 1 - 5, 2005
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

LinuxWorld 2005
San Francisco, CA
August 8 - 11, 2005
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/events/12SFO05A/

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail. Instead, e-mail
 info at apress.com and we'll get back to you regarding your query.

Apress - The Expert's Voice(TM)
2560 Ninth St, Suite 219
Berkeley, CA 94710