[ABE.pm] learn a new programming language

Ricardo Signes perl.abe at rjbs.manxome.org
Thu Aug 1 09:19:42 PDT 2013

* Ricardo Signes <perl.abe at rjbs.manxome.org> [2013-08-01T11:48:40]
> 1) Anybody aware of any such list of exercises in "real work"?

I had been discussing this problem, a bit, with Dominus, who suggested Software
Tools.  Brilliant!  (I wanted to add "and obvious," but I didn't think of it,
so...)

"Software Tools," for those of you who don't know, is a classic text meant to
teach better programming by implementing real world programs.  It's basically
*exactly* what I asked for.  I'd feel less dumb if I didn't already have two
copies on my shelf: the original (targeting Ratfor) and the later edition for
Pascal.  Writing that second edition is what led Kernighan to write his famous
essay, "Why Pascal is Not My Favorite Programming Language."

Someone already ported those programs to Haskell, too, as just such an exercise
as I was proposing:
http://www.crsr.net/Programming_Languages/SoftwareTools/index.html

Clearly there is a meta-task here: a language-agnostic test suite for the
Software Tools programs!