[ABE.pm] review of last night's hacking

Ricardo SIGNES perl.abe at rjbs.manxome.org
Thu May 8 08:25:58 PDT 2008

* "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2008-05-08T11:11:52]
> On 08/05/08 09:56 -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> > Anybody else have thoughts on how it went?
>
> I thought it was pretty good, if a bit unstructured, but now that your
> VM is properly setup... :-)

I think it will remain fairly unstructured, but in the future it'll be easier
to say, "here are things to get done, the server is up, GO!"

> I liked learning about git while hacking real code. We should do more
> hands-on things like that in the future.

Excellent.

> > The game's current interface is an IRC bot, so we spent some time adding
> > commands to it and fixing its output.  Basically all the work was done on
> > one IRC.pm file, and I don't think any obnoxious conflicts occurred.
>
> True, but I loved the way git handled the conflict between your change
> and mine.  That was pretty cool.  I can see why Linus developed git the
> way he did.

To be fair, Subversion and CVS handle the case you saw in the same way.  The
ability to branch and merge so easily is what made git so useful last night.
Maybe I'll mumble more about how that's cool later.

Basically, the nice thing last night was the ability for each person to work on
his own checkout, making commits that /did not affect anyone else/ and then to
merge those.  In Subversion, those commits would have to go to the central
server.  There are ways around this, but they're annoying, in my experience.

> I'd also like to get a better idea of how the game works in general,
> especially with POE and Moose but that's prolly more a lecture than a
> hacking.

Yeah, maybe I can explain a bit more of it each time.

> Can I get the src for your game so I can play with it on my own?  Oh,
> and I'm still waiting for the src to your IM assistant.

I will try to bring myself to part with the source.  I'm trying to keep it
under wraps.  If you're going to be contributing to it, though, I should try to
give you a clone of the repo. :)

> Finally, the nachos at the Bethlehem Brew Works were meh but the ESB was
> good.

Heh.  I think the nachos would be good as a shared appetizer.  I can see them
being meh for a meal.