[ABE.pm] OT: "Halting State" by Charles Stross

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Mon Apr 7 10:36:32 PDT 2008

On 07/04/08 19:26 +0200, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2008-04-07T17:26:17]
> > It has an interesting writing style as well.  Each chapter is written
> > from the POV of the character who is mentioned in the chapter
> > title; a chapter about Elaine will read "You roll out of bed..." and in
> > a chapter about Jack, it'll read "You reach for your keyboard...". It
> > may sound confusing, but it's not.
>
> Er, that isn't POV, that's... second person narrative?

Not all of us were English majors. :-)

But yeah, it's an homage to some games called 'Adventure'.

> That's... well, that's just weird.

I actually enjoyed it.  Granted, a few times I had to recheck the
chapter title to remind myself who "you" was, but I liked the feel it
gave to the narrative.

> I like Charlie Stross, though, so... I will put it on the list.

I'm going to check out more of his work because of this book.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.
908-320-0357