[ABE.pm] OT: "Halting State" by Charles Stross

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Mon Apr 7 08:26:17 PDT 2008

Guys,

I just spent the weekend nursing a cold and reading "Halting State" by
Charles Stross.  Given this crowd,  I would recommend that y'all read
the book.  It's a blast!

It takes place in the near future and has some pretty reasonable
extrapolations of technology (and politics).  It's starts off with a
bank robbery inside of a MMORPG that turns out to have real
world/infowar implications.

I really liked the technical explanations; one chapter on how security
is handled in an MMORPG made me think of somethings to ask a potential
client when we meet later this week.

It has an interesting writing style as well.  Each chapter is written
from the POV of the character who is mentioned in the chapter
title; a chapter about Elaine will read "You roll out of bed..." and in
a chapter about Jack, it'll read "You reach for your keyboard...". It
may sound confusing, but it's not.

Check it out.  I think you'll like it.

Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to go look for an ARG
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_reality_game].

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.