[ABE.pm] Concrete Mathematics (a.k.a. Yo, Walt!)

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Mon Sep 10 07:10:45 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:32:07PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 09:16:06PM -0400, Faber J. Fedor wrote:
> > I think that's my problem.  As an example, in CM, they're analyzing "the
> > Jospehus prolem" which is analyzing an algorithm and it all seems murky
> > to me. They make a couple of leaps that I can't work through. It's
> > almost as if I'm missing something basic.
>
> Hmm...maybe I'll check it out of the library tomorrow and see what's
> going on.

Well, I now have obtained a copy of CM.  It's the first edition, so if
you have the second I suppose it might be a little different.  I read
through most of the first chapter and I think it's quite good.  In
fact, I might be tempted to buy a copy if it wasn't quite so
expensive.

Anyway, I think I followed most of their analysis of the Josephus
Problem.  If you could point out what you didn't follow, I'll see if I
can explain it.

Walt