[ABE.pm] next dinner date; hacking sometime?

Tom Freedman tfreedman at iqep.com
Wed Oct 24 09:01:11 PDT 2007

________________________________
From: abe-pm-bounces+tfreedman=iqep.com at pm.org [mailto:abe-pm-bounces+tfreedman=iqep.com at pm.org] On Behalf Of Ted Fiedler
I cannot make the 7th, my wife will just be getting back into town @ 5 or 6 PM and I cant just drop and run.

C'mon, which is more important, kryptonite wings or your marriage?   Wait, don't answer that...

Speaking of which, im working on an ETL tool that uses ini files for table mappings and for db connections. It also uses what I call autokeys. If a table has NO unique keys, you give it a few columns which together make up a unique set and uses that as a key. If I post it somewhere would anyone be willing to give it a go and make some suggestions. Its pretty rough, but it works fairly solidly :) Im working on adding syncing csv files at the moment. Mostly I use it for syncing tables in heterogeneous db environments mysql to sqlserver, sqlserver to informix, anyting to CSV , etc...

The type of key you're describing is known as a "compound primary key".  From the name, I'd assume an "autokey" was an automatically incremented numeric key (an "identity" column in SQL Server; an "auto_increment" in MySQL).

I'd be happy to have a look through the code.  Database theory was my primary focus in college, and I've worked with a few of them, so I might spot something you hadn't thought of.

-Tom

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.