[ABE.pm] What are my options here?

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Sat Oct 20 07:48:53 PDT 2007

I've got a webapp that needs to be written yesterday.  The webapp will
allow the enduser to set numerous options, save the configurations, and
then run a script that is already in production. Eventually, the webapp
will somehow execute a native Windows app or two, but that's down the
road.

Everything I read says Catalyst is perfect for this kind of thing and
after playing with it, I agree.  My problem is Catalyst requires Perl
5.8.1 or higher and I'm stuck at 5.8.0.

Upgrading the system is on the todo list. It's not a simple matter of
simply upgrading the OS, though; alot of testing is involved.

I could install a parallel version of Perl and all the modules and
Catalyst but I can see where that's going to cause a lot of frustration
keeping the two separated, not the least in my mind.  Besides, that just
doesn't like a Good Thing to do on a production system.

I could code the thing from scratch but that's going to slow me down and
the webapp should then be recoded in the future when I do upgrade
things. And I know it won't be as bullet-proof as a Catalyst-based
webapp.

I think I'll have to code it by hand.  Anyone else have a better
suggestion?

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.