[ABE.pm] Prompting users

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Fri Oct 5 10:57:44 PDT 2007

On 05/10/07 13:28 -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 01:19:02PM -0400, Faber J. Fedor wrote:
> >
> > What's the best way to prompt for user input a la CPAN?
> > Use $name = <STDIN>?
>
> You know, the cool thing about open source is if you want to do
> something like have input work the way it does in CPAN.pm, you can
> just look in CPAN.pm and see how it does its magic. :)

I was looking in CPAN/FirstTime.pm to see how they did it; they use
prompt().  I couldn't find where prompt() came from. I assume it's in
one of the other CPAN modules; if that's correct I don't want to import
a bunch of CPAN modules for one function.

I googled for "perl interactive prompting" and variations, finding
nothing worthwhile.

I consulted my O'Reilly Perl Bookshelf and all they mentioned was
<STDIN>.

Hence my posting here.

I'll look into Term::Readline.

Faber Fedor