[ABE.pm] Reference fun

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Sat Nov 10 11:12:53 PST 2007

On 09/11/07 21:06 -0500, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2007-11-09T20:35:46]
> You have a HUGE difference here:
>
> >     tie %fndVars, 'Config::IniFiles', ( -file => $inFile);
>
> Once you're using a tied variable, all bets are off.

Ohhh-kaaay.  Why?  Isn't a hash a hash, even if it's tied?

> I would be happy to take a commission to make it work, though. :-)

:-)

> > If I replace '$yaml->[0] = $ref;' with '$yaml->[0] = %fndVars;' I get
> > this:
> >
> > --- 0
>
> You can't put a hash directly into an array element, only a reference to it.

Yeah, well the reference didn't work, so I tried the has h itself.

> Otherwise, you're using the hash in scalar context.  Normally, that gives you a
> fairly useles string describing hash bucket usage, like "3/8."

I did see a fraction in one iteration of what I was doing.

> With a tied
> hash, all bets are off.  Usually you get false.
>
> For .ini files, I use Config::INI (and ::Reader and ::Writer).

After thinking through my project (how to edit an ini file via a
webform), I won't be needing the YAML stuff anyway.  And I think I'll
stay away from tie-d vairables (except for Tie::File) from now on.

Faber Fedor
President
Linux New Jersey, Inc.
908-320-0357