[ABE.pm] YAML module?

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Tue Jul 10 20:07:59 PDT 2007

* Faber Fedor <faber at linuxnj.com> [2007-07-10T21:44:12]
> > > YAML::Load and YAML::Dump mentioned in the YAML docs, of course.
> >
> > Those are subroutines, not modules.
> >
> >   my @data = YAML::Load($yaml_string);
> >   my $yaml = YAML::Dump(@data);
> >
> > Those call the Load and Dump subs in the YAML package, respectively.
>
> From the docs "The real work is done by the modules YAML::Dumper and
> YAML::Loader." That's where I got the idea.

Right: so you don't need to use two modules, you use two subroutines, which
have their guts spread over different files.  It's dangerous to say, "I think
two modules are overkill!" because it's just a question of how the author
decided to organize HIS code.

Some authors use 5 small files and some use 1 gigantic one.

> Anywho, even YAML is going to be overkill for this script; I'm just
> going to create an array.

I do a lot of config with Config::INI::Reader. :)  Some people like
Config::General, too.  It's too big for me.

Time to crash, I think.