[ABE.pm] technical talks

Ted Fiedler fiedlert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 17:07:23 PDT 2007

On 7/3/07, Ricardo SIGNES <rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org> wrote:

> Remember a few weeks ago, we were talking about hosting some sort of
> little
> Perl workshop?  This was discussed at YAPC.  John C. and I spoke with a
> bunch
> of other YAPC and workshop organizers.  The current thinking is that
> Philly and
> ABE should collaborate on organizing a workshop, the location to be
> determined.
> I liked the idea of having it at the same time as the "Frozen Perl"
> workshop to
> be held, maybe, in Minneapolis.  This is beside the point, though:  I
> think it
> will get mostly discussed on PHL's list, but I'll let you know if it
> starts
> getting some traction.
>
> I think that, first, we should try to have one or two tech meetings!
>
> I'm happy to do the first presentation or two, on the topic of your
> choice.
> Maybe one of you would rather do that!  I'm sure I could get someone from
> Philly to come up and teach us something cool, too.

Id like to find something I could talk about. heterogeneous DB replication
perhaps. The problem w/ giving talks to technical people is that most of us
are at ( or above in some respects ) the same level with a bit of latitude
in either direction.

My first question is: where?  McG's and MG's are good for social meetings,
> but
> there's no whiteboard, projector, or quiet.
>
> We used to do tech meetings at Lehigh U, but with our Lehigh members MIA
> for
> quite some time, I don't think we can rely on that.  Does anyone here have
> some
> sort of space they could donate monthly or bimonthly?

I could try to get us a lab at DeSales University. Now that Im thinking
about it - I think its quite possible. If not there, I may be able to speak
w/ my employer and see if I can use a conference room after hours. We
probably would not be granted INET access.

Ted

--
The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds,
and the pessimist knows it.