[ABE.pm] upgrading CPAN

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Sat Sep 16 18:21:37 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 04:16:45PM -0400, Faber J. Fedor wrote:
> I've run into a bit of a problem and I think it's because of an old CPAN
> module.
>
> I'm currently running CPAN 1.61.  I tried to install File::HomeDir (a
> dependency for SVG::TT::Graph) and got the following error:
>
> Running make install
> Undefined subroutine &main::install called at -e line 1.
>
> I'm assuming a 'force install' won't work.
>
> The only message I found related to this
> (http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=17719) mentioned
> something about CPAN versions, but it was on Win32.
>
> Assuming that the problem is in CPAN version, can I upgrade CPAN w/o
> upgrading Perl (currently at 5.8.0) and everything else?

It could a number of things, but it's not necessarily CPAN.pm's
fault.  To test that, try building File::HomeDir outside of CPAN.pm.

CPAN.pm and Perl are generally pretty independent, so it's possible
you could upgrade one without the other.  But your version of Perl's
so old that anything's possible.  BTW I usually just type "r" inside
the CPAN shell.  That finds all the modules that are out of date.  If
CPAN's out of date, you can build it right inside the shell without
even exiting.  Very nice.

And you realize, of course, that 5.8.0 is over 4 years old, right?  It
might be time to start thinging about upgrading... :)

Walt