[ABE.pm] And another thing...

Faber J. Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Wed May 17 17:15:08 PDT 2006

How do I pass a variable from the superclass to the subclass?  Nothing
I've tried works.

Specifically, I want to make a DB connection in my superclass which all
of the subclasses would use (ideally, it should be the same connection
for all subclasses, but that's a nicetie right now). One ofthe simplest
things I've done in my superclass is this:

    $dbh = connectToDB();

    sub dbh { return $dbh; }

and in my subclass, I've tried

    print "in subclass, dbh is ". $dbh ."\n";
    print "in subclass, dbh is ". dbh() ."\n";
    print "in subclass, dbh is ". $self->dbh() ."\n";
    print "in subclass, dbh is ". $self->{dbh} ."\n";
    print "in subclass, dbh is ". $self->SUPER::dbh() ."\n";

and numerous other things but I get various errors at the print
statement.

How is this thing supposed to work?

Faber Fedor
President