[ABE.pm] Text::Template Q

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Wed Jul 26 11:04:48 PDT 2006

* "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2006-07-26T13:26:47]
> I now want to redirect the output to a file, so I thought simply
> doing this would work:
>
>     open(OUTFILE, "> $myfile");
>     my $report_destination = \*OUTFILE;
>     printHeader();

You are using antique file handles.  The all-caps, all-global filehandles will
come back to haunt you some day.

Instead, write this:

  open my $report_dest, '>', $myfile;
  printHeader;

Also, you should always check that the open succeeded.

  open my $report_dest, '>', $myfile or die "failed to open $myfile: $!";
  printHeader;

> Is there some magic about filehandles or scoping that I don't know about?

I'm not sure how Text::Template wants to receive its fh references.  They're a
little weird, in general.