[ABE.pm] I'm a Mac user!

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Thu Aug 17 19:08:43 PDT 2006

* Joshua McAdams <joshua.mcadams at gmail.com> [2006-08-17T21:48:38]
> * Fink - ports of unix software

I use a few pieces of software that need compiling, but I just compile them:
GNU coreutils, wget, and mutt.  Oh, and perl.

> * Adium - chat client that spans services

I always use Adium, although AOL broke it today.

> * Desktop Manager - multiple desktops

I think most people now prefer Virtue Desktops.

> * Fugu - sftp client

I prefer scp... but if forced, I'd use Cyberduck instead of Fugu.

> * iTerm - a better terminal
I can't agree.  I used iTerm for years, but I have given up.  It is too
unstable, randomly uses too many resources, and has too many little bugs.

> * OmniGraffle - Visio-like software
> * OmniOutliner - outliner program

Both are fantastic.

> * SubEthaEdit - collaborative editor

an excellent tool for hacking with others

> * VLC - media player
> * WhatSize - where has all of your space gone

I use both of those quite a lot.

From my "essential software" folder:

* AntiRSI - reminds you to take typing breaks
* Firefox
* iPodDisk - lets you look at the musical contents of your iPod sanely
* LiteSwitchX - gives you a better Cmd-Tab switcher
* MenuMeters - puts cpu/network/etc meters in the menu bar
* NetNewsWire - the world's best news aggregator
* offlineimap - sync IMAP<->Maildir
* Parallels Desktop - totally great virtual machine
* QuickSilver - does everything
* ServiceScrubber - lets you edit the Services menu
* SSHKeychain - GUI to ssh agent
* SuperDuper! - backups
* Synergy - iTunes hotkeys and other stuff
* TerminalColors (requires SIMBL) - redefine RGB values for terminal colors