[ABE.pm] Problems with YAPC::Philadelphia

R. Geoffrey Avery rGeoffrey at PlatypiVentures.com
Thu Aug 17 18:45:48 PDT 2006

Bad news Team,

At this point Rutgers has not yet been able to confirm that we would
have wireless that works they way we need it (more than a class C and
enough ports open like IRC).  But more alarming is this passage in
today's email from their conference coordinator...

My larger concern, at this juncture, is an anticipated renovation to
our Dining Services to commence in the spring with work extending
through the summer. At this point in the discussions with the
contractor, we do not know what impact this will be on our services.
I am not saying that we will not be able to accommodate your event,
but at this point I would not want to commit to space in the Center
and/or catering for that many guests.

With these and a few other problems I am ready to pull our
proposal.  If it works for you I am going to post this as our
official response on http://news.perlfoundation.org/...

It is with much regret that Philly.pm and ABE.pm withdraw our
proposal to host YAPC::NA 2007 at Rutgers-Camden.  Next spring they
will be renovating their dining operations along with parts of the
Campus Center and are not able to commit to some of the space and
services we need.  Rather than risk a poor YAPC we will wait until we
have a complete venue.  We look forward to YAPC::NA in either Boston
or Houston in 2007.

If anyone can spin this a little better please share.

- Geoff