[ABE.pm] I'm a Mac user!

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Thu Aug 17 18:43:56 PDT 2006

* "Faber J. Fedor" <faber at linuxnj.com> [2006-08-17T19:07:49]
> Well, I finally broke down and bought one of the low-end Macbooks.
> Actually, it's the bottom end Macbook; since I'm going to upgrade the
> memory anyway the 10% increase in processor speed between the two bottom
> tiers didn't account for much.  Oh, and I bought an iPod too.

The bottom two tiers differ in a larger regard: the middle one goes from
CD-RW/DVD-ROM to DVD-RW.

> So, what neat stuff do I need to add to this little guy?  What's the Mac
> equivalent of apt-get and where do I find a real terminal program (like
> Konsole)?

Terminal.app is what you get, and it's just fine, for most use, imo.  Just fix
its settings.

Some people like Fink or DarwinPorts, which are apt-like.  I use neither.

> The software update takes forever!

Yeah, but only the first time.

> Hey!  it's got screen!  And vim! I'm impressed!  Those and bash and I'm
> ready to hack the system.

And ruby!  And other stuff!

> Rick, you showed me something where the GUI itself...disappeared and was
> replaced by something else (you did show it to me after a few beers
> remember)...kinda like the LookingGlass (?) extension to X that Novell has
> done (3-D cube interface, etc.).  What was that?  I tried explaining it
> to the sales gal but she had no clue  as to what I was talking about?

I have no idea.  QuickSilver?  quicksilver.blacktree.com

I'll send another email shortly with all the software I suggest.

> And where did you get your memory from?  I'm look at 4Allmemory.com, 2 G
> for 230 USD.

Newegg

  http://rjbs.manxome.org/rubric/entry/1301

> Now, to figure out this file system hierarchy...

All the important stuff makes sense.  ~/Library and /Library are the only
basically weird things.