[ABE.pm] backticking problem

Ricardo SIGNES rjbs-perl-abe at lists.manxome.org
Wed Nov 30 11:01:11 PST 2005

* Faber Fedor <faber at linuxnj.com> [2005-11-30T11:58:51]
> which works correctly on the command line.  When I put it in a PErl
> script thusly
>
> my $line = `lynx -dump $url | grep 'S&P 500' | head -5 | head -1`
>
> I get the output of the lynx command or  the equivalent of
>
> my $line = `lynx -dump $url`

I'm with Walt: I don't see anything immediately wrong.  Did you copy and
paste that code, or did you maybe insert an error (fixing the problem)
in your transcription?

alternately:

  my ($line) = grep { /S&P/ } split /\n/, `lynx -dump $url`;

I've just eaten, so my brain may be slighly laggy, but that should do
what you want, too.

Could you show us the whole script your running -- or, much better, show
us a pared down version that can be run, producing the same problematic
results?

Are we going to see you at McGrady's tonight? :)