[ABE.pm] What's new in ABE Perldom?

Phil Lawrence phil at five-lawrences.com
Thu Jul 14 07:12:00 PDT 2005

On Jul 14, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:

> Did you read much more of Advanced Perl Programming 2?  I finished it,
> and frankly I was somewhat disappointed.  I wrote a review of it
> (and a
> few other recent reads) on our wiki:
>
>     http://abe.pm.org/wiki/index.cgi?BookLibrary

Well, I read the preface, ch 1, and half of ch 2.

I think he does a fine job in ch1 of explaining *how* the advanced
perl coding works, and then goes on to show the modules that have
already done the heavy lifting for you.

Frankly, I was excited when i started the book, because it starts at
exactly my level.  I've done a lot of the things he talks about in ch
1, but only one time or something.  So it was kinda fun to see in one
place a lot of the info I had to scrape together the hard way before.

But really I have to call this book a reference, because I'm not
parsing anything now, I'm not creating any fancy OO stuff now, I'm
not doing any Unicode now, in fact I'm not writing *any* perl now!
But it certainly has a place next to the Camel for anyone actually
doing, well, "advanced" perl programming.

Phil