[ABE.pm] Re: making things more perlish

Jim Eshleman jce0 at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Jan 8 08:19:09 PST 2005

> See!  More Perl-ish! That's what I'm talking about!

So you want to write idiomatic perl.  You might want to check out the
book "Effective Perl Programming" by Joseph N. Hall and Randal Schwartz.
  You can likely pick-up all the idioms from other books and the perl
faq, but I'm a big Joseph Hall fan so I'll plug his book.  IMO idiomatic
just means concise and efficient.

I was lucky enough to attend two of his talks at an early (@CMU I guess)
YAPC.  Maybe you can find the foils online.  One was on idiomatic perl
or effective perl programming I think, the other was OO Perl.  I think
some other perl guru gave an idiomatic perl talk at a later YAPC.

If I ever get to another meeting I'll bring the book (no you cannot
have/borrow it!) and those foils if I can find them.